- 2 salmon fillets, about 8-oz each
- 1 c freshly squeezed OJ (about 4 oranges), plus the zest from one
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1/4 c miso paste (see intro)
- 1/2 T soy sauce
- 1/2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 c thinly sliced green onions
2. Make the glaze for the fish: Mix up the OJ, zest, and brown sugar in a small saucepan, and boil it. Then simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup. Whisk in the miso and cook for 1 minute, then take it off the heat and whisk in the soy sauce and vinegar. Let it chill out. This is the perfect time to start the quinoa!
3. Coat the salmon with 1/2 the glaze and let it hang for 15 mins. By now you should be halfway done with your cheese plate.
4. Get the excess marinade off the salmon, season with S&P, and put it in a lightly oiled skillet... which shouldn't be too hot or you will burn it to a crispy crispness and be sad (I obviously didn't do this... as far as you know). Cook it over medium heat for, say, 4 minutes on the skin side, then a couple more on the other side, depending on how done you like it (I like medium, so like 2 more mins). Make sure to add the reserved marinade and baste the sucker as much as you can without seeming foolish.
Asiany Quinoa with Mushrooms (adapted from Quinoa with Asian Flavors)
- 1 c quinoa
- 2 c vegetable broth (use one you made, if you're awesome)
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 T fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 c green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
2. Toast the quinoa in some EVOO for 3-4 minutes. Add the broth, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Set the timer for 25 minutes.
4. Once all the water is absorbed, you're almost done! Stir in the green onions, season with S&P, and serve er up!! Don't forget seconds.